[AT] desulphating battery chargers

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Sun Jul 18 08:20:30 PDT 2004

Walt I never said to add acid to a battery.  I said dump it out, clean it
out and put in new acid.   The only way the hydrometer can know if the
battery is charged (as you say) is to measure the specific gravity of the
electrolite.  Water has a specific gravity of 1 Walt.  It is the standard by
which all other specific gravities are measured.  The specific gravity of
the electrolite is noting more than the weight of a given sample of the of
the electrolite as determined by the float in the meter you have in your
tool box.  That meter doesn't know electricity from cow manure and if you
mix up some cow manure in in water and suck it up in your hydrometer you
might get a solution of the right weight (specific gravity) to indicate that
your battery is fully charged.  You might conclude that you can start your
tractor by attaching cables to your manure pile.  I'll give you a clue.  It
won't work.

Charlie

Charlie