[Steam-engine] Boilers / Repairs

Dan Donaldson ddonaldson at tampatank.com
Sat Jul 17 05:20:59 PDT 2004

Andy,

    Thanks for welcoming me to the list. And thanks to everyone else that
has contributed advise.
    To answer your question. I am located in central Florida. Lots of
sunshine, not many steam traction engines. I lived in the Ann Arbor,
Michigan area until I was nine. I can remember going to Wauseon for many
years then switching to Portland. Since moving to Florida I have been to
many threshing reunions, tractor shows, engine shows and swap meets all over
the country. I've been collecting gas engines and tractors since '87 (16-30H
Advance-Rumely, 28-50 Hart Parr,  Silver King, etc...). I always wanted to
own a traction engine but was always concerned about safety and what might
happen to the value of my investment if an accident ever occurred. Well as
you all now an tragic accident has occurred but the value has held up. I
believe that the accident was more operator error than mechanical failure.
Although the soft plug may not have worked as it should have it was the
owner / operators responsibility to check and replace this (last resort)
safety feature. I have been doing detail drawings for an ASME boiler
fabricator and have gained a greater knowledge and respect for these
machines. I am interested in acquiring a traction engine and realize that
the more I learn about boiler construction and inspection and operation the
better off I will be in the long run.

Dan Donaldson
16-30H, 28-50 Hart Parr, Silver King, etc...
http://www.donaldsonsantiques.com/