[Steam-engine] Boilers / Repairs

tabest55 at bellsouth.net tabest55 at bellsouth.net
Thu Jul 15 07:39:16 PDT 2004

I'm curious as to the failure of lap seam boilers.  From an engineering standpoint they are inferior to the butt strap and welded joint, but are there documented failures of the lap seam boilers on traction engines or is all the concern a preventative measure?  I'm told that the problem is getting to the inside part of the lap seam for inspection but I'm not aware of any cases where a traction engine boiler failed at this point.