Using tractor driventillers (was Re:[AT]AllisChalmersB-1lawntractor

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Fri Jul 16 22:25:18 PDT 2004

After reading all these posts about the dangers of pto post hole augers I
realize just how lucky I have been. When I was a kid one of the first jobs I
had was helping a neighbour dig postholes with a pto auger. This was a crude
old Robin unit and the only connection to the tractor was the long
telescoping powershaft. Therefore, it was necessary for somebody to hold the
handles on top of the auger to operate . I figured it was just common sense
to stay out of the way of the moving power shaft and auger. The tractor
operator ran the old DC4 Case at low idle with a hand on the lever to shut
off the pto if necessary.
Broken shear pins were a regular occurence. Usually this resulted from
contacting rocks. The auger man got a good shaking up when this occured too.
The old Robin auger suffered a lot of hard use and eventually sustained a
fatal breakdown of the input shaft.
Nowadays I make my postholes with the relatively safe (but slow) hand
powered auger.

Ralph in Sask.
http://lgoff.sasktelwebsite.net/