[Farmall] Selling the Farm and moving tractors & Tools

farmall2 at comcast.net farmall2 at comcast.net
Fri Jul 16 07:36:52 PDT 2004

Sorry to hear about your situation.  I too was in your shoes one year ago.
I had five rusty F-12's, a rusty F-14, a very rusty, not-rolling BN, a 3/4 finished BN and a 1942 IH K5 Stake truck to move.  I also had many assorted parts, rims, etc to cart off.  All of these items were considered "junk" by the X (I didn't dispute that, seemed to work) and she wanted them gone along with me.  Both propositions sounded good to me.
All had to be moved quickly and under hostile circumstances (X in-laws are at their best behavior during these times... NOT). I used my Dad's trailer (the same one they all come in on) and a come-along style winch to load them up.  Some F-12's went crammed precariously as a pair on the trailer.  The not-rolling BN was the worst and took the longest to load.  The truck was a engineering feat just to keep on the trailer as we bounced 8 miles down the road to its new home.  But it all got moved in a week.  I never worked so hard in my life, but my motivation was high.  I wanted to get them out of there before someone tried to change their small mind and hold the remaining ones hostage.
All in all, looking back it was not too bad to move them.  A roll-back would have been awesome, but it was just not worth it to go that route.  Selling at short notice was out and I did not really want to give someone else the pleasure of watching my collection hauled off, never to be seen again.
It has gotten a lot better since then.  I have a good custody arrangement concerning my eight year old son.  He still loves tractors.  I have added added a restored Super W-6 and a decent working Cub to my collection.  The cub is my son's tractor.  He likes to use it for pulling a drag around his go-cart track and pulling a small trailer for hay rides.  The project BN is now running and just needs some tin work and paint.  I have more space to play with the tractors.  I have indoor storage for the best of them to stay out of the weather (all outside before).
I met someone new that shares my enthusiasm in old tractors and agriculture.  My garden is starting to look like the best one I ever planted.  Oh, yeah, I am still as poor as ever.  And there are still very challenging situations with the X.  But all-in-all, I am feeling pretty darn good about the future and damn glad I am free of my miserable past.
Things will get better if you let them.  Keep your head up, take care of those close to you, and move on.
Carl