[Steam-engine] Boilers / Repairs

Andy glines pioneersop96 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 16 11:52:09 PDT 2004

Dan, you would be a perfect student at the Pawnee
Steam School.  I learned the answer to most of your
questions when I attended this spring.  I remember
in-depth discussions about boiler construction and
trouble spots.  I am going to UT on a grid pattern and
other typical trouble spots.  I need to check for
grooving around stay bolts, seams and other high
stress areas.  We learned that areas with stress
concentrations erode faster and therefore should get
special attention.  We also learned that a lap-seam
has tortional stresses that are not present in a
butt-strap which only has stresses in tension.  Find
an experienced steam person and take them with you!!!
 Where are you located?

BTW welcome to the list.

--- Dan Donaldson <ddonaldson at tampatank.com> wrote:
>     I just went and asked the Quality Assurance
> Supervisor here at work and
> sure enough we have a UT thickness gauge. He said I
> could borrow it anytime.
>     What are the areas that I should most concerned
> with when checking
> thickness. Firebox sides, firebox ends,  crown sheet
> and front tube sheet?
> When do I know a sheet is too thin and may need
> replacing?

=====
Andy Glines
Evansville, IN