[Steam-engine] Boilers / Repairs

Dan Donaldson ddonaldson at tampatank.com
Fri Jul 16 07:04:11 PDT 2004

Beth,

    Thanks for the advice about getting more insight about boilers I am
considering. Maybe there is someone on this mailing list that can give me
some information on these boilers.

    The first traction engine I am considering is an 26 hp Advance straw
burner with a dry bottom Lefever lap seam boiler. I know that some of the
outside wrapper must be replaced where the axle castings attach. The current
owner has had this engine fired recently to 100 psi. Are there any other
areas of this type of boiler that may have inherent areas of concern?

    The second traction engine is a 25 hp Gaar Scott with a wet bottom
boiler. I have not seen this engine up close yet. I have only seen pictures.
Are there any areas of concern  with this type of boiler? Did Gaar Scott
build there own boilers or did they have them built by other manufactures?

Dan