Using tractor driven tillers (was Re: [AT] Allis Chalmers B-1lawntractor

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Wed Jul 14 05:06:41 PDT 2004

Cecil,  I had a series III D-10 for a while until I traded it for a D-14.
It had the same PTO set up you have.   A few days before I traded it I was
bush hogging with it.   Just as I finished up I hit something ( the stub of
a cut off 6 inch post) and the PTO appeared to jump out of gear.  I put it
back in and it turned but since I was finished mowing I didn't really check
it out and never even thought about the fact that it might be broken.

I traded the tractor and after a few months stopped by to see the man I
traded it too.  When I walked in his shop he looked at me hard but didn't
say anything.   After a while I asked him about the D-10 and he told me he
had to replace the PTO clutch housing.
I was shocked and immediately understood why he looked at me so hard.  I
told him I had hit something with it but hadn't given it a second thought.
He said that after he tought about it he figured I most not have known it
was broken because when I showed him the tractor it had the bush hog
fastened to it.

He went on to explain that the Series III tractors had that wet clutch with
an aluminum drum and that parts were very hard to find for it.  I asked him
what I owed him and he told me not to worry about it that he had gotten
lucky and found a used part pretty cheap.   He seemed to realize by that
point that I hadn't intentionally taken advantage of him and we had a good
tractor chat before I left.

Charlie