[AT] Allis Chalmers B-1 lawn tractor

Cecil E Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Wed Jul 14 04:31:10 PDT 2004

>  I never would have believed the
> difference in action of a tiller based on the rotation of the tines if I
> didn't own a Mantis.  Those little things are really light, and if you
> try to operate one the way we're used to working with a tiller, it does
> nothing but bounce. But as soon as you start walking backwards with it
> (just like the instruction book tells you to) the tiller will bury
> itself.

	I tried to get Lucille to change her mind about buying a Mantis
5 or 6 years ago but she insisted. I call this thing "The Jumping Jack".
It looks like a joke but can be worked around almost anything and can do
a suprising amount of work for such a little tool. I wouldn't use it for
preparing seedbeds but it is a good weeder. I have both a 5 hp and 8 hp
TroyBilt also. Using any tiller is a matter of playing with the balance.

	An "old timer" told me once that one of the secrets to running
a lot of machinery lies in the understanding of balance. He used turning
a Cat as an example. You can either do it the hard way or the easy way.
Either way works but the easy way is better.

Cecil
what you said.

Cecil E Monson
Lucille Hand-Monson