[AT] Bad tractor day

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Mon Jul 12 09:05:22 PDT 2004

This reminds me of a similar problem I'm having on the JD AR. After sitting
all winter it refused to start in the spring. I couldn't tell if it was
flooded or not but the batteries seemed to barely have enough strength to
turn it over. I removed the spark plugs and it spun over right smartly. In
the process it sprayed quite a quantity of gas out of the right side plug
hole. Seems that the float valve had allowed gas to leak through and fill up
the cylinder. This explained the heavy cranking resistance. After that it
started and ran a little but then stalled just as if it was starved for gas.
So far I have not resolved the problem but my suspicion is that the float is
sticking , just about closed so that it will not get enough gas to run but
over a period of time it will allow quite a quantity of gas to leak into the
cylinders.
Hope I remembered to shut off the fuel valve last time I worked on it.

Ralph in Sask.
http://lgoff.sasktelwebsite.net/