[Ford-ferguson] 8N lever?

Mike Sloane msloane at att.net
Wed Jul 7 03:03:40 PDT 2004

That sounds to me like the draft control lever. In one position, if the
plow hits something hard, it forces the hitch up, causing the upper link
to push on the bracket (which is connected to a control valve), which in
turn raises the linkage and lifting the plow in order to clear the
obstruction. When the pressure is released by clearing the obstruction,
the hitch returns to the same position as before. This is great for
plowing but is not needed/wanted when doing other tasks, so the function
can be locked out. I think that "up" is normal operation, and "down" is
for draft control, but I could have that backwards.

That is my guess,

Mike

Robert Hill wrote:
> I have a 1948 Ford 8N and am puzzled about the function of a lever. It is
> found on the right side of the tractor under the seat. It is a short lever
> with a 90 degree throw and runs into the top of the rear. Can anyone
> describe what this does? I appreciate any replies.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
Email: (msloane at att.net)
Website: <http://www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Tractor images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>
Work: none - retired

If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed,
given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.
-Dwight D. Eisenhower, U.S. general and 34th president (1890-1969)