Ford 2N won't start (was Re: [Ford-ferguson] (no subject)

D. Fleming d.fleming at sasktel.net
Sat Jul 3 14:51:39 PDT 2004

Hi Mike,

We had the same problem with my neighbor's 8N a few days ago.  The motor was
completely overhauled about two years ago and the tractor did some work last
fall and then it was driven into the shop (heated) for the winter.  Since
then it had been sand blasted and painted.  When it came time to start it
the other day it was a no go.  After a lot of head scratching we removed the
distributor and found the points seized on the shaft so tight we destroyed
them trying to get them off.  Installed a new set of points and it started
right off.  I would not have believed that would happen in a heated building
over one winter.  There was no indication of sand or paint in the
distributor. Just something to check.

Don Fleming
Kipling, Sask. Canada
<d.fleming at sasktel.net>