[Ford-ferguson] Re: 2n problem

Mike Sloane msloane at att.net
Sat Jul 3 02:35:17 PDT 2004

Chris Britton wrote:
> With it all re-assembled.. use a screwdriver to short between the two
> terminals.. if the starter spins then.. but not with the switch closed..
> that lets you know the switch is bad.  Replacements are available.
Now that I think of it, that switch is one of the few electrical parts
on the tractor that I didn't replace. When I removed it, there was Ford
blue paint on the plunger, indicating a '60s replacement. A bad switch
isn't out of the question.

> If it won't spin with the contacts shorted.. try jumpering right from the
> battery to the starter..
I will have to remember to bring jumper cables with me. I also have two
6 volt Cubs in the same barn, and I can use one of them, since the
Ford's battery is a little low by now...

> if that doesn't do it.. the starter bendix may be
> hung in the flywheel.. to -unhang' it put the tractor in high gear and garb
> the rear tire and rock vigorously back and forth for a bit.. starter bendix
> usually pops free then.
Another possibility, but not as likely only because there doesn't seem
to be any reaction at the starter at all. Fortunately, pulling the
starter on the N isn't a big deal; I have heard that the bendix drives
are prone to failure.

Thanks - I will give all those a try later today,

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ

The history of liberty is a history of the limitation of government
power, not the increase of it. -Woodrow Wilson, 28th president of the
U.S., Nobel peace prize winner (1856-1924)