Ford 2N won't start (was Re: [Ford-ferguson] (no subject)

Mike Sloane msloane at att.net
Thu Jul 1 09:20:52 PDT 2004

Loud and clear in NJ.

Speaking of which, I have a Ford 2N problem:

I restored my tractor about two years ago, but it has been sitting idle
in a neighbor's barn since then. The battery (amazingly enough) tests
OK, but the starter won't spin. Well, not exactly, at one point, I got
it to spin, but it wouldn't stop! (the starter plunger in front of the
shifter stuck). I removed the plunger and freed it up, then I removed
the starter switch itself and got that pretty much unstuck and put
everything back together. But it still won't turn over. I checked all
the grounds, and they seem OK, but I have a feeling that the starter
switch may be the culprit. I also cleaned up the top of the battery and
the battery clamps. It doesn't look there is any way to get inside the
starter switch to clean the contacts.

Working in a dark barn with no electricity presents some challenges, so
I may have to go up there with another tractor and haul it home.

Any reasonable suggestions will be appreciated...

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ

The history of liberty is a history of the limitation of government
power, not the increase of it. -Woodrow Wilson, 28th president of the
U.S., Nobel peace prize winner (1856-1924)