[AT] OT Recipe OT

George Willer gwill at toast.net
Sun Feb 22 15:49:31 PST 2004

I had a nice visit with Pop (working on 96) at the nursing home this
afternoon and found him more alert than usual.  I told him we were
discussing scrapple and ponhaas and he said he never heard of scrapple, but
if I wanted ponhaas he could make me some... if I would get him all the
stuff.  (He can't possibly get out of bed) He doesn't know any recipe, but
he thinks my guesses are pretty close.  He says the secret is to cook the
meat long enough and stir it enough that it all turns to liquid.  Then the
most important part is to make sure the broth is thin enough.  Then you
simply add the corn meal until it is thick enough to slice when it cools.
He thought a pound of black pepper :-) sounds about right for one hog's
head.  If the broth is thin enough, it could take 25# of corn meal, but you
can't tell ahead of time..

George Willer
http://members.toast.net/gwill/

"If you believe in the right to life, then you must believe in
the right to have the means to defend that life." --Charley Reese