[AT] Cracklings

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Sun Feb 22 10:04:03 PST 2004

George my first job ever at hog killing was doing the initial cleaning of
the chitlins.   That's right the cleaning just after they were removed from
the hog.  It involved a hole in the ground, two buckets (one for the raw
product and one for the finished product) and the use of my 9 year old
hands.  A clothes pin for my nose would have been nice!

After I finished the women turned them wrong side out and scrubed them
clean.

I think that was the first time I ever said an ugly word in front of my
daddy.  He asked me to clean the chitlins and I said  before I even thought,
"cleab the $^itlins?

He busted out laughing.

Charlie