[AT] About me (Paw Paw)

DAVIESW739 at aol.com DAVIESW739 at aol.com
Sun Feb 22 07:53:27 PST 2004

this is from my 2nd gt. grand aunt's book that she wrote at the tender age of
80. She was the last known surviving member of the first great wagon train to
oregon in 1843.

----------------------
 I can remember going with a kind old uncle to  the woods to look for
pawpaws. He told me that I was to hunt for mounds of dry leaves, for  coons were the
best judges of pawpaws in the world, and when the fruit was just prime, they
always gathered them into piles and covered them carefully with dry leaves.

    I soon found such a wonderfully big heap, and digging down, sure enough,
there they  were, bright yellow with spots of black and sweet! oh, but those
coons did surely know when  pawpaws were at there best.

    It is only as I think of it again, more than eighty years later,  that I
realize and appreciate the tenderness of the kind old gentleman when he
gathered those  pawpaws into heaps and covered them with autumn leaves for me to
find and delight in.

Walt Davies
Cooper Hollow Farm
Monmouth, OR 97361