[AT] MF202 ground

Cecil E Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Wed Dec 22 03:40:09 PST 2004

> I finally got it going by using my jumper cables to bypass all the wiring and
> solenoid and attaching it directly to the starter and a bolt on the block.
> This made it clear that the battery was good but, I need to clean up my
> connections. One thing I noticed its that the PO attached the ground to the back of
> the instrument panel. I'd like to attach the ground to a better spot on the
> block. Does anyone know where the ground cable is "supposed" to be connected? In
> the absence of the "proper" connection point I'll find a handy bolt somewhere
> on the block. Hopefully a proper grounding point and freshly cleaned
> connections on the positive cable will make starting easier next time.
>
> Karl

	Thinking about the dozen or so tractors I have and the ground cable
connections for the battery, a lot of former owners connected the ground
cable to battery box sides, fenders and about anywhere else they could get
a bolt. What I've found is best is the closest I can get, within reason, to
the casting that the starter hole is in. I try to ground the cable to one
of the bolts put in by the factory, use a lock washer, and torque it right
down. Also most POs seem to use the lightest and cheapest battery cables
they could buy. It is a good idea to get a good HD battery cable if you can
find one.

Cecil
what you said.

Cecil E Monson