[AT] MF202 ground

HaliganBar at aol.com HaliganBar at aol.com
Tue Dec 21 20:40:46 PST 2004

On Monday we got about 4" of snow here. So in true American male fashion I
waited until the thermometer was reading a brisk 6 degrees before putting the
battery back into my MF202 and trying to start it. Needless to say it didn't go
well. After a few minutes of slow cranking it fired off but died after about a
minute. Naturally I continued to crank it until the battery was barely able
to turn the engine over. It was then that I remembered to turn the fuel on.
When I pulled the battery out and charged it up, I noticed that it didn't take
long to charge and didn't draw more than 3 amps on the charger meter. When I put
the freshly charged battery back in the tractor it would only barely crank
the engine over.

I finally got it going by using my jumper cables to bypass all the wiring and
solenoid and attaching it directly to the starter and a bolt on the block.
This made it clear that the battery was good but, I need to clean up my
connections. One thing I noticed its that the PO attached the ground to the back of
the instrument panel. I'd like to attach the ground to a better spot on the
block. Does anyone know where the ground cable is "supposed" to be connected? In
the absence of the "proper" connection point I'll find a handy bolt somewhere
on the block. Hopefully a proper grounding point and freshly cleaned
connections on the positive cable will make starting easier next time.

Karl