[AT] Locking a differential

toma at risingnet.net toma at risingnet.net
Sun Dec 12 19:58:51 PST 2004

Quoting R Mull <rbobmull at comcast.net>:

> I have two CA Allischalmers tractors. One I use for parts and the other I
> use for tractoring. I want to take the one I have been using for parts and
> make a crawler out of it.If I could lock the differential, I could add
> another hand clutch in the left hand axle(already has one in the right hand
> axle and use the hand clutches for steering clutches. Thought about putting
> 20 inch or smaller (this will reduce the speed alsotruck tires on the back
> for drive "sprockets"and using maybe some old tractor tires with the side
> walls cut off for rubber tracks.Remove the front axle, steering gear, etc.
> Make a straight front axle with 15 inch wheels and tires for front of the
> tracks, mount it about where the bell housing is bolted to the engine block.
> I don't have everything in my mind yet. If I can find a way to defeat the
> differential, I think I will build this machine. It would make a neat ATV.

Sounds like a good idea Bob, why dont you go ahead and build it and use the diff
for steering with the exising brakes. It would probably not be as effective as
the planetary differential steering in a Cletrac bit I believe it would steer
I am not familiar with the hand clutch you mention on one axel. I have a WC but
I believe it has individual hand brakes. If you decide to impliment the clutch
plan I think a strategically placed bolt would lock the diff.