[Farmall] IH 2424 - Courtney V

Jim Becker jim.becker at verizon.net
Tue Dec 28 18:06:07 PST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "CourtneyV" <courtneyv2 at excite.com>
To: <farmall at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 2:41 PM
Subject: [Farmall] IH 2424 - Courtney V

>   For example, you didn't tell me about old Dresser manuals or the xm
> numbers for military prototypes

Thought that after talking with "several departments of the government" you
would have already been told that.

> Some of the info you gave me actually brings up further questions, like
> why is there an air force one
> that is identical and yet I can't find any other army ones like it?  If
> there were seperate contracts and a
> bunch built, why am I only finding one for each branch.

Equally valid question would be if only 5 were built, how could 2 (40%)
survive 37 years after being used for military testing?

> Additionally, I received an email from an equipment dealer over the
> weekend saying that while parts
> of the tractor were built in Doncaster, like you said, the fronts were IH
> 340's, which bolted on to the
> British Chassis.  This was new info to me and I hope I continue to find
> new info on it.

As I said in October:  "The basic tractor would have been built at
Doncaster, England.  It would have been shipped to the IH Louisville plant
where the engine, sheet metal and related parts were added to complete the
tractor."

> In one statement, you said the basic tractor was built in Doncaster and
> later sent to Louisville to be finished
> but then, 2 sentences later said "the cab and rear entry look fairly
> unusual, unlike anything I am aware of
> from 'Louisville'.  However, it does look a bit British, so maybe came
> from Doncaster".

And I still don't know where the cab came from.  Best I can say is what I
said before:  "The cab and rear entry look fairly unusual, unlike anything I
am aware of from Lewisville. However, it does look a bit British, so maybe
it came from Doncaster.  It may have also been custom built to meet contract
specs."  Since the cab is bolted to the back half of the tractor, it could
have been installed before the partial tractor was shipped from Doncaster.

> Also, I had two people I talked to, tell me that their 2424's have a PTO
> and 3 point hookup, and that
> contradicts what you said about not having them being common.

For a start, virtually every industrial backhoe is mounted on a tractor with
no PTO and no 3-point hitch.

Jim Becker        jim.becker at verizon.net