[AT] Got Woodchuck Pills? Snow

carl gogol cgogol at twcny.rr.com
Mon Dec 27 15:57:56 PST 2004

Rob-
Com'mon now - just one of my D-14's weighs in with tires filled at about
4500 Lbs.  To that add 8 each 65 Lb. wheel weights, a three hundred or so
pound casting for a counter weight, the weight of a heavy duty front end
loader and 6 foot bucket (and lets not mention me by weight).  Rob, you have
got to admit that is a bit extreme for a garden tractor!
Actually  for just about any snow up to a foot, it is quicker to use one of
the garden tractors with a blower.  I can't wait to try the Kubota F-2400
four wheel drive with a 5' blade,  Some day I'll find a blower for the right
price for it and retire the other stuff.
I am guessing that snow removal, like anything else, gets easier with lots
of experience.  [or maybe, its not the size of the AC tractor - but how you
use it?  :-) ]  We have to plan where we are going to put snow around here,
or there are winters that just have so much snow between thaws that if you
use a blade you will run out of room if you are not careful.  Now you have a
situation where if you do get a significant fall and wind , you will spend
5+ hours getting it moved.
I just spent the last 4 days in NE Ohio, and there, many of the side streets
are still ruts. I don't think that the Akron area had more than a foot, but
a lot of rain and sleet on top of it.   My son spent about 5 hours shoveling
his driveway, but didn't finish before the freeze set in and has only got
about one lane at the roadside of his two lane driveway.  He has much to
learn, but is still young.
Carl Gogol
Manlius, NY
(2) AC D-14, AC 914H