[AT] Heater Review

Tom tmartin at xtra.co.nz
Mon Dec 27 09:44:04 PST 2004

Ralph Goff wrote:

> [...]
Speaking of long extension cords, did electric tractors ever
work in farming in the US? A Christmas gift, was a book written
to celebrate 100 years of tractors in NZ. In it, is mentioned
electric tractors, developed in the 30s by a local power company
down south.
The Kemp electric tractor used a 20 hp electric motor mounted
on a Hart Parr. Power was supplied via truck mounted transformer
supplied from high tension lines. The tractor had a swivelling
pylon mounted on it and the cable was feed in & out on a drum.
The swivelling pylon ensuring that the cable lead directly to the
transformer no matter which direction the tractor went.
Some apperently did up to 8000 odd hours of work before diesl
powered tractors proved to be more convenient and cheaper to run.

Tom