[AT] No ads from the 12/24 Lancaster Farming

Dudley Rupert drupert at premier1.net
Sun Dec 26 20:44:17 PST 2004

Years ago the old Tractor Supply Stores used to sell pistons for the N's
that were oversized and you
just pulled the original sleeves and ran them in the block bores. I seem to
recall that they did not make any
guarantees on that set.

"farmer"

Farmer, interesting that you should mention pulling the N sleeves and
running oversize pistons in the original block bores -
A friend of mine has a 1952 8N that he has talked about overhauling due to
excessive oil consumption (a quart in a couple of hours of virtually idling
or just running up and down the road).  A couple of months ago he started
thinking/talking that as long as he was going to overhaul he might as well,
while he was at it, put in bigger pistons for a little boost in HP.  This,
of course, assumed that bigger pistons are readily available for the 8N.
Just this past week my friend told me that he was talking with a guy who
told him that you could pull the 8 N sleeves and, if the bores were clean
enough, just hone them and put in what he thought were late 40's/early 50's
Mercury pistons.
What my friend forgot to ask this guy was what model of 8N was he talking
about.  That is, was he talking about the early 8Ns with the 3-3/16" piston
and the thin walled sleeves (.040") or was he talking about the late 8Ns
that have the same piston but the thick walled sleeves (.090").  I guess if
it were the former we're talking pistons 0.080 over but if it were the
latter we're talking 0.180 over.
If anyone is familiar with the pistons and bore that Farmer was talking
about I'd be interested in hearing, as I would pass any information along to
my computer-less friend.  I know if you have a bushel basket full of money
you can get virtually any piston you want made but I know my friends money
basket has holes in it.
Thanks,
Dudley Rupert
Snohomish, Washington