[AT] No ads from the 12/24 Lancaster Farming

ROBBRUT at aol.com ROBBRUT at aol.com
Sun Dec 26 14:22:05 PST 2004

Mike-
In situations like this, when two very similar metals make up the stuck
joint, I have had much better success when the cooling medium can contact as much
surface area as possible all at once.
Dry ice can only really transfer its chilling effect where it touches, and
even if it is crushed up into small pieces, that is still not much more than 40%
of the surface area.
However dry ice and methanol work very well together, since methanol stays
liquid at the -120f or so of the dry ice.
We make up a batch (when the solid CO2 stops boiling violently and settles
down to just a "simmer" the methanol is thoroughly chilled) and then work with
it.
In your situation, of course, the bottom of the cylinder sleeve needs to be
plugged to keep the liquid in place.
I have solved that need in the past by using "Great Stuff" spray foam (the
more dense version ) to create a dam at the bottom, let it cure for about 30
minutes, then quickly poured in the methanol/dry ice mixture. I don't know how
long the foam seal would have held because in about 20-30 seconds, the insert
broke loose and the tension of the puller on the stud which passed through the
foam dam was released, breaking the foam dam.
But since the insert was now loose and about 2" out, it was a moot point.
The rest of the extraction was a breeze.

-Bruce Thompson