[AT] Ford "N" sleeves

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sun Dec 26 10:49:34 PST 2004

The original sleeves in the 9N and 2N were thin steel, and they could be
peeled out like a tin can. What seems to have been done with mine (and
evidently a good many others) was that the steel liners wore out, the
block was bored out, and thicker cast iron liners installed. From the
cast-in "Ford" logo on the sides of the old style (4 ring) pistons, the
originals were then put back in! But the years have not been kind to
either the pistons, rings, or sleeves: the ring grooves are twice as
wide as normal, the rings are worn or broken, and the sleeves are badly
tapered.

I also had very little oil pressure and discovered that the bushing for
the oil pump drive shaft was badly worn, as is the shaft itself. So
those two pieces need to be replaced also. Oddly enough, the valves are
fine, as is the crankshaft. But the crank had been bored .010" over, and
I will replace the con rod bearings, as they are at the end of their
useful life - just beginning to spall (perhaps due to lack of lubrication?).

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who
are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it. -Mark Twain,
author and humorist (1835-1910)