[AT] O/T one horse sleighs

Cecil E Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Fri Dec 24 04:32:26 PST 2004

> Funny you should mention it Cecil...We have a one horse bobsled (2 sets of
> runners, the front ones steer) that we hitch to my wife's Belgian, Sue. In fact
> I just got home from picking up my wife's Christmas present..a new harness for
> Sue.

	We had a bobsled too, Karl. My father always used it with his team
of Belgians in the winter. To us on the farm in the 1930s, it was treated sort
of like a 4WD pickup would be today. It was the way we got to town, hauled the
cream to the main road when the roads were impassible for trucks, hauled feed
for stock, and even firewood at times for the house. Back in those days, it was
not uncommon for roads to be blocked for 2 to 3 weeks or more at a time. Some
years crossing fields that were more or less blown fairly clear of snow was the
only way to travel. Ralph may have those conditions even today in parts of
Saskatchewan. The last time I was there a rancher told me parts of the road
his kids take to school have over 30 feet of snow in the gullies it crosses.
He said nowadays his kids take snowmobiles about 3 miles to the main road to
get the schoolbus and leave them there for the day while they are in school.

	As I kid I remember many rides in the bobsled at this time of the
year. I'll bet I am not the only one who knows those runners squeak and squeal
on cold mornings as they move thru the snow. Frost and icicles used to form
on the muzzles of the horses like hoar frost on very cold days too. We don't
pay much attention to it these days but it was a pleasure to us riding in the
back of the bobsled, all covered up against the cold, to smell the groceries
in the bags as we rode along. I guess there are a lot of things we don't even
notice any more. Maybe we are moving a little too fast these days.

Cecil
what you said.

Cecil E Monson
Lucille Hand-Monson