[AJD] can I use the 820 exaust valve in my D?

Kropelin kropelin at netonecom.net
Thu Dec 23 16:13:35 PST 2004

Not long ago a few posts had talked about being able to use the 820 exhaust
valves with a little bit of machine work.

As I am rebuilding a 1931 unstyled D and have just removed the head to clean
out the years accumulation of grass,mouse nests,grain storage and wasp nests
I have gotten the valves out and of course they need to be replaced.

As you already know they are a little salty, and like most I really do not
want to make John Deere Co. rich but I want to do a proper job.

My question is does anyone have the physical dimensions of the valve for the
820 as far as diameter of the stem and the head diameter? I will assume that
the length is longer which will allow for the relocating of the keeper slot!

I went over to my local Deere Dealer and all they could tell me was that I
can still buy them but they had no tech info.

I thought that this was a little funny as they do repair tractors in house.
What I need is the tech specs of both of the valves to make a determination
of which way to go outside of having them order a valve in for me to look at

If the head diameter is the same and the stem diameter is the same and the
overall length will allow me to machine a new keeper slot in the proper
place, then the 820 valve which is half the cost of the original style valve
would be the way to go.

Any advise on this will be greatly appreciated.

Kevin Kropelin(krop8913)

over here in the cold southwest corner of Michigan