[AT] Got Woodchuck Pills? Snow

Gene Dotson gdotsly at loganrec.com
Thu Dec 23 13:16:25 PST 2004

    Yes, the 23 inches of snow we got yesterday was a one day
record for this part of Ohio. The 10 degree temperature and 30
MPH winds assured that it drifted constantly all night and
today. I had 6 foot drifts between the house and barn that I
leveled with the Case Dozer before I could even get the
snowblower tractor out.
    Snow removal equipment is like any other machinery purchase.
You have what you normally need. The exceptional circumstances
you just use what you have and do the best you can. I am sure
some of the folks in Colorado laugh at a 30 inch snowstorm in
New York. It is all relative to your local area.
    After our blizzard in January, 1978, A fellow from
Marysville bought a 5 ton military truck with a 300 HP mounted
snowblower, Just sure he would make a lot of money with it every
year. The thing sat in his barnyard for the next ten years and
was never used.
    I could put a 9 foot blade on one of my tractors and spend
an hour clearing out all of the snow in the nighborhood then
park it in the barn till the next big event, maybe next week or
next generation, but that does not make economical sense. Better
to miss a day or 2 of work than to invest in something seldom
used.

                    Gene