[Farmall] U-haul and tractor hauling

Bob Currie tractors at foothill.net
Wed Dec 22 15:43:50 PST 2004

>how practical would it be to build a ramp and use one of the box vans to
>haul a tractor around?
>************************
John,
I think the plan is practical, but I doubt if I would go that route. I
believe you'd have more expense and problems than you might anticipate.
Those rental trucks are truly at the end of their lives by the time they
want to sell them off, or else they would continue to use them. They are
also an expensive piece of equipment to operate, considering the commercial
licensing (whether you're driving it or not), the fuel costs, insurance,
and up-keep on an old truck.  I would say a more practical solution would
be a trailer, however you mentioned you have no tow vehicle. So that leads
me to suggest renting a piece of equipment to transport the tractors, or
hiring it out like others have suggested.  If you really wanta crunch the
numbers, how many trips, or "towed miles" would you be doing...say in one
year? Enough to warrant the cost of your own equipment?

bobcurrie,
greenwood, CA