[AJD] Looking downstream - Heat

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Wed Dec 22 08:38:47 PST 2004

> Frank -
>
> Nope, not needed on the B yet, but I don't live in a big city like
Lewistown so I have
> to plan ahead.  Also don't normally have a lot of time to shop. So,
with the help of
> the List in selecting the right kind of tool and then researching
brand/price/location
> online, I have most of the work done.  Don't know how much gold I've
poured down
> the drain over the years buying the wrong tool or one of poor quality.
Help like I've
> found on the AJD List is like stumbling across a goldmine.
>
> To the most immediate need for heat... my B came with a #5 mower
attached and
> it's pretty clear (now) that the B was dedicated to that implement.
The #5 hitch has
> been customized (farmerized?) and so has the B's drawbar.  I want to
dismount the
> mower, but two very large nuts & bolts that keep them mated have not
yielded to
> my penetrating oil.  I've got to go to town today and will pick up a
bottle of MAPP
> gas and give it a try.
>
> Kind of reading between the lines on other posts, my understanding of
the
> procedure is heat the nut/bolt until cherry red... allow to cool ...
penetrating oil ... big
> wrench.  That right?
>
> Mike
>
> Robert M. Massengale
> Fredericksburg, Texas 78624

No need to let it cool off much before hitting it with the oil. It
stinks to high heaven sometimes but  I spray it with it hot and then put
the wrench on ASAP, unless I really want to save the bolt/nut. Then I
let it cool before removing it.

Steve Williams

Pacifism - The theory that if they'd fed
Jeffrey Dahmer enough human flesh,
he'd have become a vegan.