[AJD] Looking downstream - Heat

Robert M. Massengale ltcmikem at ktc.com
Wed Dec 22 06:11:59 PST 2004

Frank -

Nope, not needed on the B yet, but I don't live in a big city like Lewistown so I have
to plan ahead.  Also don't normally have a lot of time to shop. So, with the help of
the List in selecting the right kind of tool and then researching brand/price/location
online, I have most of the work done.  Don't know how much gold I've poured down
the drain over the years buying the wrong tool or one of poor quality.  Help like I've
found on the AJD List is like stumbling across a goldmine.

To the most immediate need for heat... my B came with a #5 mower attached and
it's pretty clear (now) that the B was dedicated to that implement.  The #5 hitch has
been customized (farmerized?) and so has the B's drawbar.  I want to dismount the
mower, but two very large nuts & bolts that keep them mated have not yielded to
my penetrating oil.  I've got to go to town today and will pick up a bottle of MAPP
gas and give it a try.

Kind of reading between the lines on other posts, my understanding of the
procedure is heat the nut/bolt until cherry red... allow to cool ... penetrating oil ... big
wrench.  That right?

Mike

Robert M. Massengale
Fredericksburg, Texas 78624