[AT] Got Woodchuck Pills?

Gene Dotson gdotsly at loganrec.com
Tue Dec 21 18:17:02 PST 2004

    I have succesfullly used anhydrous ammonia to get rid og groundhogs. While
applying it to corn ground, any time I ran acros a den, I would put the vapor
hose down the hole and wait for the vapor to come out any other openings, then
shut it off. Worked every time.

    In 1986, I bought a former dairy farm that had been abandoned for 3 years.
There was a garage about 30 feet from the house that had a granary in one end.
When the people moved out, thay left about 25 bushels of oats in the granary..
The rats soon found the easy food supply which was close to the shelter of the
house and had a path worn across the grass to the house. I spent 3 months
remodeling the house and after I moved in, I could hear the rats chewing in the
walls every night. A few days later, I was sidedressing corn with the ammonia
tank and had stopped outside the house near the basement window. Turned the
vapor loose is the basement and waited till the vapor came out the uptairs
window, then shut it off. Next I went to the garage where they had burrowed
under the concrete floor of the granary and gave a good blast there. Then for
good measure I went to all the barns and sheds and fumigated any holes I could
find. Never saw another rat around the place. A warning here is that ammonia
tarnishes brass and discolors some plastics and takes a few days to clear out of
the house.

    My best erradicator of groundhog was my dog, Kirby, who I had at the time.
He was a Collie/Aussie mix and very quick and smart. When he was a pup, a
groundhog bit him in the nose, leaving a permanent "V" notch in his nostrin. He
never forgot this, and would kill and eat any groudhog he could find. He had
ridded the airy farm of the critters within 3 months after I moved in. Cheap dog
food too.

    I have recently been using an idea submitted by Farmer a few years ago to
get rid of groundhogs. His suggestion to us road flares, lighted and pushed down
the dens and covering them with dirt. It has been very successful for me. They
are also easy to acquire.

                Gene