[AJD] Looking downstream - Heat

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Tue Dec 21 10:33:45 PST 2004

Depending on how involved and how LARGE the item is you have a few
options. One is to use MAPP gas instead of propane in that torch (if you
can, some are not supposed to be used with MAPP). MAPP will give you a
higher temperature (brazing light metal is easy with MAPP). The next is
a small oxy-propane/MAPP torch. OK for light work and brazing heavier
steel IF you have everything prepped and don't have a large area. The
next is a standard Oxy-Acetylene torch. They are real useful around a
shop. You can cut, braze, weld and heat with them. Not hard to use IF
you pay attention and practice some. For someone who only plans to use
it once/twice a year I would say get a Port-a-Torch style unit. It is
Oxy-Acet and can be used like the big stuff but comes with small tanks
and tips (can be sized up later if needed). Usually in a case and makes
it handy because you can take it to the work as well as use it at the
bench without having a huge cart to drag around.

Something like this  http://snipurl.com/bio6
Lowes sells a similar one made by Lincoln, Tractor Supply has them and
your local welding supply place should also.
Handy to have and you will be surprised how much you would use it on
tractors or old pick-ups...

Steve Williams