[AJD] Looking downstream - Heat

Duane Larson jdlarson at comcast.net
Tue Dec 21 09:43:54 PST 2004

Mike,
Well, I vote for an oxygen-acetylene gas unit.  They are in the $100 - $200
price range, and welding stores often have reconditioned traded-in units.
Getting the acetylene and oxygen gas is something you should shop around
for, as prices vary widely (not for the gas, but for the cylinder
rental/lease).  I think I saw bottles at Northern recently.  Around here
companies will only fill their own bottles, and if you buy bottles at an
auction or flea market you are likely SOL unless you pay to have the bottles
tested and stamped.

I doubt you can get larger nuts and bolts hot enough uniformly with anything
else - surely not red hot, but others may disagree.  Some use other gases in
their oxy-acetylene units and that may provide enough heat, but the torch is
what I would get.
Duane Larson