[AJD] Tech Data Question

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Tue Dec 21 11:25:00 PST 2004

Robert:

Now you have opened a can of worms that is going to be really difficult to
explain w/o confusing you and probably us all in the process. :-) I also own
an early styled B, a 1940 Slant Dash B, serial number 89xxx. When I first
tried to find the correct documentation for it I got caught up in this same
maze. There are several different publications which have been published
over the years by JD for your 1941 B. Many of which are only available in
the aftermarket arena such as eBay. I'm going to be listing these from
memory, which is dangerous at my age, as my stash of manuals is all
disorganized at the moment due to a move in storage locations. There are at
least six different forms of manuals for your B:

1.) DIR = Original Directions for Operating including Service and Parts
listing
2.) Repair Catalogs = Detailed Parts Catalogs dated in the 1940's. The best
reference Parts Catalog as long as its dated after your tractor was
manufactured.
3.) Original Parts Catalogs published in 6 x 9" format
4.) Operators Manuals, no parts breakdown, in 6 x 9" format in two different
color combinations
5.) Service Manuals - The type you are seeing on eBay which we have
discovered have sections with various publication dates included, 1948 etc.
and then SM2004 which is currently being reproduced and still sold by JD in
8 1/2" x 11' format. Some of these early SM's start at ser 96,000, others at
201,000. The is no Service Manual published for B's between serial number
60000 and 96000 other than information published in the DIR's above.
6.) Parts Catalog for B's still reproduced by JD in 8 1/2 x 11" format for
styled B's, PC 0330 which covers the styled B's from Ser No 60,000 to the
end of B production.

Now if this confuses you don't be surprised.  I need to run to a dental
appointment so there may be others who can add further info here with all
manual numbers and publication dates.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

storeroom door