[AJD] Mike's B - crankcase

Dave Mayfield johndeere at gwltd.com
Tue Dec 21 06:08:03 PST 2004

Very cool, I have spent lots of time in Germany, and we are planning trip
again this spring. In order to stay on Topic, I remember as a kid in Germany
seeing, Bulldogs "tractors" going thru the streets as the farmers where
heading out to the fields. If I am not mistaken the name Bulldog was the
name of a tractor brand or type in Germany. The Germanys used it as generic
name for Tractor.

My Grandmother was here on a visit a few years ago, and I recall when she
saw my little Ford 8n, she called it a Bulldog. There is a guy near hear
across the Mississippi from me in Davenport Iowa that has a John Deere/Letz
tractor it's just like the ones I saw in Germany.

One more thing that should be of interest to all on this list. My great
grand dad, had a very cool machine, I don't recall right now who made it,
but I know he bought is back before 1900 it was a drivable bandsaw, it had
four wheels and a big flat saw table that you sat on and drove it from one
farm to another and sawed firewood. It had a big single cylinder diesel.
When I was kid back in the mid 60's and early 70's I use to ride with my
great uncle Max, we went all over the country side sawing fire wood. The
machine was started by hand with a crank in the flywheel, Uncle Max would
open a little door on the side of the cylinder and he would place his lit
cigarette in the little hole and start to turn the crank, and off it would
pop and away we would go. This machine would only go as fast as an easy
walk, and the real wheels had a ridge in the middle of the steel wheel and
left tracks in the blacktop all over town, you could see where Uncle Max had
been. It's currently sits in a shed at a museum in Germany. It still belongs
to my family, my brother and I have talked about getting it over here and
take it to shows. But I don't see it happening. I will post so pictures of
it here for all to see.

J. Dave Mayfield
www.w9wrl.com