[Farmall] Tachometer

Frank DeWitt Frank at lbpinc.com
Mon Dec 20 12:48:26 PST 2004

Here are some ways of getting RPM

The easiest is the new maintenance meters.  One lead to one spark
plug.  That is all. no connections to the battery so it doesn't care if it
is 6 or 12 volt
http://www2.northerntool.com/product-1/524744.htm
http://www.jackssmallengines.com/hour_meter.cfm
These are on Ebay.  Look for  Hour Meter

For more fun, there are the mechanical ones.
there are always Jones tachs on ebay.  here is one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4512778857&category=6755&sspagename=WDVW

If you can get at the end of a shaft look at
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4678&item=3861888269&rd=1
or
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=63945&item=3861394115&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4122&item=6139182196&rd=1

Frank

At 11:17 AM 12/20/2004, you wrote:

>I haven't seen it operate, John.  It had an LCD screen.  Whether or not
>some conversion factor would be needed I don't know.  Maybe a prop could
>be mounted on the end of the crank (just kidding!!!).  I'll have to take
>another look at the device.  My interest was in the RPM range and price.
>
>Bob Holtzer
>
>At 07:47 AM 12/20/2004 -0600, you wrote:
>>I've been looking for something similar, but everything I've found ran in
>>the $75 to $150 range.  Does it give a reading of the number of times the
>>prop blade passes, or is their a scale that changes the counts to
>>rpm.  might have to do a little calculation to get rpm from a tractor engine.
>>
>>Robert L. Holtzer wrote:
>>>  From time to time there has been discussion of setting engine idle,
>>> etc.  Recently in a model airplane shop I saw a $25 tachometer that had
>>> an RPM range of 0 to 30,000.  It detected RPM from the propeller --
>>> apparently something akin to a strobe.  It would probably work off a
>>> painted mark on a crank pulley.
>>>Anyone have any experience with this type of equipment?
>>>Bob Holtzer

>>--
>>John
>>another one of them
>>*.?-!.* cub owners

HONOR GOD
SERVE PEOPLE
DEVELOP EXCELLENCE
GROW PROFITABLE
FOLLOWING BIBLICAL PRINCIPLES

    Frank DeWitt              |  mailto:frank at lbpinc.com
    Mechanical Design      |  Phone:  585 624 3052
    LBP  INC.                   |  Fax     585 624 1038
    2365 Cox Rd.              |     N 42.9130  W
77.5164|
    Bloomfield NY 14469   |Web   http://www.lbpinc.com