[AJD] A1240 .090 Pistons

Chris C jdnutinwa at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 17 08:28:52 PST 2004

Steve,

    The block has a huge break externally on the top
corner of the block from the head end to the
transmission end,  all 'fixed' with JB weld by the
previous owner.  Once I got it apart,  you can see the
crack internally at least 1/2 way down a push rod
tube.  In the head you can see the crank inside on the
left hand exaust port.  I am not giving up on them
just yet,  but I am not going to use them right now
either.  I have a pile of old broken blocks,  I hate
to throw things like that away.   Once the cast welder
is done with my Lindeman parts next month I may see
what he can do with the head.

     I will more than likely put the pistons in my
1951 A that my grandfather bought.   When I rebuilt it
about 12 years ago (my first JD engine rebuild)  When
we put it together back then I had bought a 'good
standard bore block' from an outfit in Idaho.  It was
good,  but by the time it was honed and ready to go it
was about as loose as you would want it without going
over sized.  Since I like to use that tractor at the
club plow day,  I think the bigger pistons would be a
nice addition.

     Greg,

         Any pictures of those two tractors?  My wife
is going to the gulf with the Navy this spring,  So I
may make a few trips to kill some of my free time
with.

          I'll be calling you in a little bit to order
some manifolds anyway.

                      Chris