[AT] Gas tank sealers

Jim and Lyn Evans jevans at evanstoys.com
Tue Dec 14 15:46:42 PST 2004

I will second the use of Phosphoric acid.  It will be right beside the
Muratic acid in the store.  You could even buy something like CLR - it is
the same thing.  The phosphoric acid leaves a coating on the metal,
preventing rust.

I cleaned a very rusty motorcycle tank last year.  I used electrolysis rust
removal on it.  I filled the tank to the top of the washing soda solution,
inserted a piece of re-rod, making sure that it did not touch the tank at
all, and hooked it to a battery charger for about 3 days.   After that, I
put some nuts and bolts in the tank, shook it around and then power washed
the tank.   Then I coated with phosphoric acid.  The tank is now almost as
good as new.   The tank was so rusty that I was afraid that any chemical
rust removal, like muriatic acid, would eat right through it.

Jim