[AT] Gas tank sealers

Robert L. Holtzer rholtzer at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 14 12:37:01 PST 2004

I don't want to step on any reply Ron makes.  However, I would caution the
use of muriatic acid (essentially hydrochloric acid of modest purity) in
old tanks -- unless you like a sieve bottom.  Seems the tanks have rust
pits -- the acid cleans them rapidly and thoroughly!  Sometimes the bottom
of the rust pit is so thin, the acid dissolves what little metal there
is.  I learned this through the school of hard knocks!  I have found that
mechanical cleaning with chains, nuts, etc., takes out the big stuff.  Then
I build a fine screen filter for the outlet.  The screen takes care of any
residual rust, etc., that may come loose after the cleaning process.  So
far this has worked well for me.

Bob Holtzer