[AJD] Lead in fuel, rant, plea

Steve Treimer steelerhawk at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 11 10:39:12 PST 2004

I would be very, very surprised if there is any lead whatsoever in any
of the fuel blends on the market today, aircraft or otherwise.  The CDC
did a study about 20 years ago on the levels of lead in the blood of
children, this encompassed monitoring standardized test performance and
other IQ markers.  They also studied risk of exposure to lead-based
(white) paint.  After publishing their analysis that the major
contributor to underage development was airborn lead from fuel, the EPA
began phasing out all lead from fuel.  I can't imagine this didn't
affect the airline industry also.  Within 10 years, the CDC remeasured
child blood levels and found a significant reduction and a
corresponding increase in testing scores.  Even a company (104+) used
to sell a pure tetraethyl lead additive for auto engines about 15 years
ago when I was really big into hot rod cars.  About 6-7 years ago I
remembering wondering whether I could still find it (for my tractors)
and was not able to find it on store shelves.  Now I just use a lot of
Marvel Mystery oil in my D until I can rebuild the head with hard seats
or buy a better head already converted.

Final rant (I can only check the list once a week), Beth and Charles
Dugan are a couple of the most honest and fair ($$$-wise) people on
this list and in the market place.  For those of you who have sold a
lot of stuff on Ebay, you surely realize how hard it is to keep track
of the parts still on auction, those that have sold, those people you
have yet to contact, those who have responded, those who have paid,
those checks that have cleared, the packages that have to be sent,
those that have delivered, the people that need feedback to be left,
and the new parts that have to be listed.  It isn't easy.  Beth has a
full-time job to boot and probably kids too.  Give her a break.  She
can take a look at the items as best she can and post what she shes,
but to take apart and give a full, accurate description of each part?
It is not her fault that Ebay has so many lookers and bidders that even
marginal JD parts and stuff bring big money.  I sold a probably useless
hyd. pump for an H a while back, but several people just HAD to have it
and it brought a just-plain-stupid price and cost $30 to ship.  It
doesn't make sense and you win some and lose some.  Please give the
Dugans an outlet to make it right.  Once upon a time Shorty Dear did
the same for me and I'll always remember his fairness for that.  Please
do that for the Dugans.

And Duane Larson, PLEASE keep posting.  I'm still using you as a role
model!

Steve Treimer
Mechanicsville, IA