[AJD] PURCHASER OF # 5 MOWER?

Duane Ledford dledford at classicnet.net
Fri Dec 10 09:53:09 PST 2004

Mike,

Jim's story about his father prompts me to put my $.02 in. Before you use
any equipment with your new tractor, become very comfortable with using the
hand clutch and driving the tractor in general. Have heard and read more
than one story about someone new to the hand clutch getting in a tight spot.
Instead of reaching for the clutch lever, they will push in on the left
brake as if it were the clutch. The end result was usually not good. Using
the hand clutch needs to become second nature. Pushing the brakes might slow
you down a bit, but most likely will not stop you. When you start using
things like a sickle mower, the need to be comfortable with the hand clutch
is that much more important. The risks of injury are much higher once you
start using implements. You have to be able to watch what your implement is
doing as well as where you are going. Basically you are running two machines
at one time. You need to be prepared for the unexpected.

This summer I was mowing a field with my JD B and #5 mower. Just got started
making the first pass, so I was close to the edge of the field. There were
large bales stacked along the outer edge from another cutting. I knew they
were there and thought I was watching to be sure I didn't get too close to
them. Got into a tough patch of grass and was paying attention to the mower
when all of a sudden the tractor's left side started going up. Had ran the
left rear tire up onto a bale that was sticking out more than the others.
Wasn't going too fast due to the cutting conditions and was able to pull the
clutch lever in time to prevent the tractor and myself from rolling on over.
Was able to carefully back off of the bale with no harm done except a large
dent in the bale and a ruined pair of shorts. Slow ground speed, practice
with using the hand clutch and the good Lord saved my bacon that day. If I
had stomped on the left brake as if it were the clutch, I probably wouldn't
be typing this message today. Practice, practice and practice some more.

Duane