[AT] O/T How observant are you?16

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Thu Dec 9 15:43:30 PST 2004

But there are several questions for which the answers are either old
wives' tales, make some assumptions, or are plain and simply wrong.

Venetian blinds do NOT have their controls on the same sides and some
are even reversible.  I have two hanging with in sight of where I'm
sitting that have both controls on the right side of the blind.

The bottom frequency on the FM dial depends on which country you're
living in, and here in the United States it goes down to 87.5 MHz.  I've
followed instructions on highways to tune to frequencies below 88.0 to
listen to driving condition announcements on several occasions.  The
most recent was on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving on the Pennsylvania
Turnpike.  (That was a fun trip -- the toll booth workers were on strike
and the whole length of the turnpike was free.)

And the new power flush toilets don't swirl either direction when
they're flushed.  Even the old gravity models are individual in the
direction of the whirlpool.  Whirlpools are very individual.  The ones
that form behind the gates on navigation locks typically match each
other.  One goes clockwise, the other goes counter-clock.

So give yourself about five extra points because the answers are biased.

BTW, the HSS Bluenose is a fun vessel.  I presume it's still sailing
between Bar Harbor and Yarmouth.

I know, I know.  I've missed the whole point of the simple little
exercise you gave us, Charlie.  I'm just getting tired of erroneous
material being put forth without questioning it.  I'm also a little
short on my caffeine intake for the day.  :-)

Larry