[AT] Wire size for welder?? Help welder people!

Chuck Saunders csaunders at bluevalleyk12.org
Thu Dec 9 06:42:31 PST 2004

Hey "farmer",
The problem starts when you upgrade that broom to a Dustbuster and the
current draw rises <Big Grin>.  I know that I tend to overbuild just to
err on the side of safety.  Mind you I don't wire 20 amp circuits with
1-O wire, but I will insure that the user receptacle is where the
problem will start and the breaker will be the weakest link hardwired.
I see it as similar to pouring concrete slabs, 4" will probably be
sufficient but if it isn't you can't just pour a 2" slab on top. You
have to rip it out and start over. much more expense than pouring 6" to
start with. Remember that codes are the minimum allowable which is why
scrimping (no you were not advocating scrimping) cannot be tolerated.
Chuck Saunders
Kansas City

{ Following a big Snip}