[AT] Ford 8 N

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Thu Dec 9 05:06:25 PST 2004

I think some folks are being a little sensitive. My comment was
essentially that the Ford N was a good little tractor in its day, but
that the lack of live hydraulics and transmission driven PTO could make
mowing with a brush cutter difficult, if not dangerous. It should also
be remembered that the N was a crop tractor first, back when the PTO was
mainly used with flat belt pulleys to run stationary mills, corn
shuckers, elevators, etc. I am sure that the designers of the N never
envisioned that they would someday end up being used solely for rough
cutting fields or plowing snow.

Like every tractor, the N had its good points and weaknesses. It is
comfortable, very reliable, easy to drive, easy to get on and off of,
economical to operate, has a starter interlock, has an integrated three
point hitch, has a standard PTO (if you change out the early ones), is
very reliable and sturdy, and is relatively inexpensive to maintain
and/or repair. On the down side are the strange brake pedals and no foot
boards on the 9N/2N, marginal draft control, too fast a reverse,
difficult to access engine, difficult to access distributor up until
1953, axle seals prone to leak, and the lift and PTO problems mentioned
above.

Mike

Ndg1952 at wmconnect.com wrote:
> Thanks Farmer.  That's what I have been trying to say for years.  If the
> N-series is as helpless as some people try to say, how did so many survive to
> still be used today?
>
> Nathan

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

If you torture data sufficiently, it will confess to almost anything.
-Fred Menger, chemistry professor (1937- )