[AJD] 1st Tractor

Cotton Family dcotton at coosahs.net
Wed Dec 8 18:27:09 PST 2004

Perhaps you can find someone locally to help you.. I loaded my first and
only so far tractor, a 70, on a trailer by myself for the first time..
It was a bit scary going up the ramp for the first time as I have never
done that before. ...I made sure I had a 3 ramp system for the narrow
front..I chock the trailer wheels with good aircraft chocks ( freebies
from work ) and use blocks of wood under the rear of the trailer to keep
it from picking the front of the trailer up to much and hurting the
truck. And I also lower the jack on the front to make the trailer as
stable as possible..  I put the tractor so most of the weight is
centered over the dual axels with just enough forward to keep the tongue
heavy...I then use a very heavy duty chain and binder to secure the rear
of the tractor. I go from a very rear point up through the drawbar box
over the drawbar and then over to the other rear corner and use the
binder to make it tight.. Then I use 2 heavy duty straps on each side to
go forward off the frame about where the generator is to each of the
front corners of the trailer..( Which is a 18 footer.)  I wanted the
chain in the rear to keep the tractor on the trailer in case of a panic
stop and the straps really to hold it during forward movement. I stop
after the first couple miles to recheck everything.  I moved my 70 gas
from Ohio to Alabama using this and didn't have any problems. I just
went at a pace where I felt real comfortable, and left lots of stopping
room. The trailer has brakes on both axels and stops really well but
with 6500 pounds of tractor is a good bit of mass to stop.. I took my
time and did it slowly so no one got hurt.. As I have done this more it
takes less time. But remember it will hurt you if you let it or get

Dennis