[AT] Ford 8 N

Carl Tatlock carllary at Surfglobal.net
Tue Dec 7 06:46:42 PST 2004

Mike Sloane wrote:

> Hydraulic Lifters? The 8N has a flat head engine that was first used
> in the 1939 9N. Hydraulic lifters weren't even dreamed of back then.
> :-) It is pretty common for the lifters so wear out and not all that
> hard to replace, once you remove the hood, manifold, head, etc. You
> need to buy a pair of inexpensive special adjusting wrenches. And you
> might think about replacing all of them if you go to all that trouble
> (and check the valves out too). Just hope that you don't have to drop
> the oil pan, as that required removing the front axle. Also, think
> about joining the ATIS Ford-Ferguson list - there is at least on guy
> who can get Ford parts for you at a pretty good discount.
>
> Mike
>
> Richard Fink Sr wrote:
>
>> I have a gentlemen that wants to sell me a Ford 8N. he says it is a
>> 48 and needs a valve lifter. did they have lifters in them. hyd or
>> solid. Thanks
>> R Fink
>> PA

Hi Richard;  Mike is right. They had solid tappets, then
adjustable--adjustables are used in replacement.
 Removing the front axle is not that big a deal if you have help-- but
that's true of splitting any tractor.  Only thing with N's is that they
are generally smaller...      One tip--on the early 8N's up to serial
#216989, there are no replacement parts for steering sectors, and if the
steering is really loose, it probably can't effectively be adjusted
out.  After that SN, a better design was introduced.   If the hydraulics
work ok, and all you need is motor work, it looks good.  Parts are
readily available for this 56 year old tractor.  Even from the Ford/NH
dealer-- I just bought a muffler system last week-- pipe, muffler--one
unit, for $22.95.   They don't ask for much and they work hard.
Carl in Vermont,  1949 8N, and a 1945 2N