[AT] Case VAH... just like the one I grew up on

Dean Vinson vinsond at voyager.net
Sat Dec 4 11:20:21 PST 2004

Ralph Goff wrote:
> That VAH is sure a high wheeler Dean.

Sure is.  It wasn't until many years after we'd had ours that I realized
how tall it was--it was just the way the tractor was, and for all I knew
as a kid they were all like that.  Got me used to sitting up high in the
air I guess, and I still mostly love the big tall ones.  In later years
Dad bought an Allis D-15 which was a heck of a good tractor and about
nine times as useful as the VAH, but for me it always felt too small.

> Heres a DC4 on ebay that looks just like mine.
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3857409728
> It appears to have two fuel tank caps though. Mine only has one but I do
> seem to recall a cut out in the hood apparently made for an extra fuel tank
> filler. What was the deal on this? Why would they need two types of fuel?

I don't know about DCs specifically but I bet it's an "all-fuel"
tractor, with a little tank for gasoline to start on and then a bigger
tank for kerosene or "tractor fuel" or some such lower-priced fuel to
run on once it got warmed up and running.  I've seen those on some other
color tractors now and then, maybe a wartime thing.

Dean Vinson  --  Dayton Ohio
<http://my.voyager.net/~vinsond/>