[AT] Subdivision Development

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Fri Dec 3 11:26:21 PST 2004

We have the same thing here Walt.  It is referred to as use tax.  Meaning
that the land is taxed according to it's use.  Agricultural use land is
valued at a much lower value than the same tract would be if it were bought
by a developer and left idle.  ( I know that doesn't make sense but that's
what they do.)   The only catch to it is this.  If you are a farmer or
developer who continues to farm a tract and keep it under ag use and you
decide to turn it into a subdivision, etc. then they go back for 3 years,
recalculate the value and make you pay the difference in the taxes.

Charlie